83% of our participating Year 11 students achieved NCEA Level 1.
86% of our participating Year 12 students achieved NCEA Level 2.
78% of our participating Year 13 students achieved NCEA Level 3.
We were the best performed state co-ed school in the Hutt Valley for Level 2 and 3
The following New Zealand qualifications are available for International Students.
- National Certificate in Educational Achievement (NCEA)
- National Certificate in Mathematics
- National Certificate in Hospitality (Basic Cookery), Level 3
- National Certificate in Retailing
- University Entrance
International students can also gain TOEFL and IELTS tuition and assessment through the school.
- NCEA is awarded at 3 levels by earning credits from a wide range of subjects:
- Level 1 (normally gained in Year 11)-80 Level 1 credits
- Level 2 (normally gained in Year 12)-60 level 2 credits + 20 Level 1 or Level 2 credits (20 credits can be gained in a previous year.)
- Level 3 (normally gained in Year 13)-60 level 3 credits + 20 Level 2 or Level 3 credits (20 credits can be gained in a previous year.)
- Each Level can be endorsed with Merit or Excellence.
- It is common for students to do multi level courses i.e. a student in a senior year could be studying NCEA subjects at Level 1, 2 or 3.
- NCEA is gained by achieving passes in standard assessments.
- These assessments can be internal - set by the school or external - students sit an exam.
- Standard assessments are given the following grades: Not Achieved or Achieved or Achieved with Merit or Achieved with Excellence.
- Each standard passed or achieved contributes credits towards the certificate as shown above.
- Each subject will contribute about 20 credits to the overall total required.
- A subject can also be endorsed with Merit or Excellence.
- Merit and Excellence endorsements are gained by passing enough standards with Merit or Excellence grades.
- University Entrance is gained by getting NCEA Level 3. At least 42 credits need to be from traditional academic subjects. There is a literacy and numeracy requirement.
Further Information for International Students
- At Heretaunga College, 100% of students who want to go to University gain University Entrance.
- We have free after school tuition to help students make good progress.
- Our school have a broad curriculum offering a diverse range of subjects.
- Our school curriculum teaches students with a diverse range of academic abilities.
- Some subjects lead to University and are known as academic subjects e.g. Chemistry, Accounting, History etc
- Some subjects are not intended for students going to University e.g. Hospitality, Building, Sport.
- Class sizes are small.
- Students can join at any time of the year and gain NCEA credits.
- Credits can be carried forward to the new year. A student who joins in August can get NCEA credits that will contribute to a certificate completed early the following year.
- Many options are available for tertiary study.